Fast going cities, ports, tourism development, impoverished communities, over-used fish stocks, habitat degradation and finally sea level rise are leading to an increasing vulnerability of coastal areas, especially in south-east Asia. In this complex situation and so many different stakeholders, it is not so easy to find clear solutions. The GIZ developed several tools and integrated approaches which are enhancing cross-sectoral and marine resources. Projects connected by the WG Hills to Ocean (H2O) are dealing with different although closely interlinked topics:
- Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) with inclusion of different stakeholders
- Aquaculture, (small-scale) sustainable fishing
- Coastal and marine conservation (MPA – Marine Protected Area network)
- Mangrove conservation and restoration
- Participative coastal & marine biodiversity management
- Coastal and Marine Spatial Planning (CSP, including Zoning)
- Integrated Coastal Protection Planning (includes erosion control, breakwater, mangrove belt, sea-dyke and livelihood)
The main objective of the H2O Work Group is to create a lively platform for knowledge exchange (on GC 21) which enhance up-scaling of successful models and methods for problem solving. At the same time, we want to be at the edge of new international developments in Coastal Zone Management.
The factsheet of the Working Group is now available for download here.
Issues / Topics
PANORAMA – Solutions for a healthy planet
What if we could identify the best local and regional solutions, and promote them for learning at a global level?
PANORAMA – Solutions for a healthy planet is a partnership initiative to document and promote examples of inspiring, replicable solutions across a range of conservation and development topics, enabling cross-sectoral learning and inspiration. An online platform (www.panorama.solutions) currently houses solutions under three thematic portals (ecosystem-based adaptation solutions, marine and coastal solutions, protected area solutions), and is envisioned to be continuously expanded with new partners and solutions from further topics.