Institutional Strengthening of the Biodiversity Sector in ASEAN
The ASEAN region boasts of accommodating about 20% of the world’s flora and fauna species, 35% of global mangrove forests and 28% of coral reefs worldwide. The lives and survival of over 600 million people depend directly or indirectly on the conservation of these natural resources. However, the biodiversity and the associated services continue to be massively under pressure. The ten member states of ASEAN have recognized the need to intensify regional cooperation in the field of biodiversity protection.
In response, the ASEAN has created the ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity (ACB), an intergovernmental organization, tasked to facilitate cooperation and coordination among the 10 ASEAN Member States (AMS) the conservation and sustainable use of biological diversity, and the fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising from the use of such natural treasures. The ISB II Project aims to support ACB in the fulfilment of its regional mandate to enhance biodiversity conservation and mainstreaming in the ASEAN region.
The ISB II project provides an opportunity to integrate lessons and experiences gained from the ISB I Project into regional strategies for biodiversity conservation. As such, the project will be implemented through four (4) areas of intervention: (1) Organizational Development; (2) Improved protected area management through the ASEAN Heritage Parks (AHP) Programme; (3) Drafting of joint ASEAN positions on CBD and related international processes; and, (4) Mainstreaming Biodiversity into the fisheries, infrastructure, and tourism sectors, among others.
APPROACH/FIELD OF INTERVENTION
- Organizational development
- Capacity development
- Communication, education and public awareness
- 4 joint statements presented in SBSTTA 23, 5 more pending approval by the ASEAN Member states
- Supported ASEAN Heritage Parks Programme (AHP) regional conference, and committee meetings
- AHP Park staff participating in the Secondment Programme
- Supported the development of the Gender and Biodiversity Training Materials for South East Asia and the Pacific together with CBD, ACB, and other stakeholders
- Implementation of the 2021 webinar online series on Protected Area Effectiveness, Economics of Biodiversity, and Sustainable Financing for AHPs
- Supported capacity development initiatives for ACB staff on nature-based solutions, and monitoring & evaluation
Philippines , Asean
01 Mar 2019 - 28 Feb 2023